Want to beat jet lag, then you must read this
Are you a traveler? Tired of getting jet lag? Jet lag - A sleep disorder that can affect those who travel quickly across multiple time zones.
Our body has an internal clock or circadian rhythms which signal us when to sleep and when to stay awake. Jet lag occurs because your body is still synced with the time zone you were living in.
Jet lag can cause fatigue, head-spinning, mouth-drying and gastrointestinal problems. Jet lag is temporary, but it can significantly reduce your vacation or business travel comfort.
Symptoms of Jet Lag:
- Disturbance in sleep – getting excessive sleep or waking up early
- Stomach problems
- Unable to concentrate properly
- Daytime fatigue
Jet Lag Symptoms starts appearing from day one or two. Symptoms get worse if you have traveled from more than two time zones and also gets worse when you travel from west to east.
What to do to Prevent Jet Lag?
- Give plenty of rest to your body before your trip – Starting your trip without getting good sleep can make jet lag worse.
- Adjust your schedule before you leave – If you are traveling east then try sleeping an hour earlier than you do and if you are traveling to West then try going to bed an hour late.
- Regulate bright light exposure - light exposure is one of the prime influences on your body's circadian rhythm, regulating light exposure may help you adjust to your new location. Exposure to light in the evening helps you adjust to a later than usual time zone (traveling westward), while exposure to morning light can help you adapt to an earlier time zone faster (traveling eastward).
- Stay hydrated - Drinking plenty of water before, during and after your flight can counter the effect of dry cabin air. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, as these can dehydrate you and affect your sleep.
- Try sleeping in flight if its night time at your destination - Earplugs, headphones and eye masks can help block out noise and light. If it's daytime where you're going, resist the urge to sleep.
Above were the few tips that can help you prevent jet lag. If you have ever faced jet lag, tell us your experience in the comments section below, the problems you faced and what all you tried to get over it.