Twitter to continue permanent ban against Trump, even if he runs for office again
Twitter has confirmed that the ban of former President Trump is permanent and will be upheld even if he were to run for office again in the future.
Twitter CFO Ned Segal told CNBC “When you’re removed from the platform, you’re removed from the platform. Our policies are designed to make sure that people are not inciting violence. He was removed when he was president and there’d be no difference for anybody who’s a public official once they’ve been removed from the service.”
Segal also said that the userbase of Twitter has seen a massive growth after Trump’s removal.
“We added 40 million people to our DAU [daily active user count] last year, and 5 million last quarter,” Segal said. “In January, we added more DAU than the average of the last four Januarys, so hopefully that gives people a sense for the momentum we’ve got from all the hard work we’ve done on the service.”
After the Capitol Riot on Jan 6, Twitter was the first platform to take permanent action against Donald Trump, after an initial 12-hour suspension.
On the other hand, Facebook has upheld its temporary suspension on Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts until further notice. The Facebook Oversight Board is in the midst of reviewing the case and is expected to announce whether the decision stands in the coming months.
For more news: Tesla invests $1.5 billion in bitcoin, sending the price to an all-time high